Monday, June 25, 2007

I survived the 2007 Cicada Brood XIII

Well, almost, as they’re here for a few more days. Where I live, there have only been a few. I've really only seen 3 in my neighborhood and heard a handful of others. Last week, there were some wind blown and awfully lost cicadas in the Loop.

My sister's place was crawling with them. One of her trees I refereed to as the "living tree". We were there in late may when the brood was emerging. There were literally hundreds coming from the grass while we were there. Thousands were already in the trees. It was a sight.

We were there again on Father's Day and snapped this short video. Notice how we have to talk loud because the noise of the bugs is overpowering.




I didn't get to eat any this time around, but maybe next time. I've got 17 years to build up the guts, specifically stomach. So, I'm happy to say I've survived the 2007 cicada's in NE Illinois. I will see you again in 2024.

No comments: