Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Delay Your Outgoing Email in Outlook

I discovered a feature in Microsoft Outlook 2007 recently; delayed delivery. I’m not sure this is a new feature in Outlook 2007, but it’s new to me! The feature allows you to schedule an outgoing message to be sent at a specific time rather than the second you press send.

This feature is actually quite useful. Some examples (in ascending order of deception):

-Say you have an important email you want to send and feel it's ready to go out the door. If it's not something that is urgent, why not delay the sending an hour. This way, if you think of something you missed, you can go back and add it instead of replying to your sent message (which looks bad).

-Another use is to delay all outgoing emails to the end of the day so that you can shutdown and be off before the replies come through.

-A creative use is to schedule well written emails to go out at all hours of the night. When the boss asks what you were doing up late composing great emails, you can say that you take your work so seriously, that sleep takes a back seat.

There are two problems I see with the delay delivery feature, though; your Outlook client must be online and delayed messages have the original “sent” time recorded in sent items. The first, must be online, may be because I’m using Outlook in an Exchange 2003 environment. This makes the scheduled emails sent at 2am to make my co-workers think I’m up working at all hours and my bosses amazed a bit more laborious. This may not be an issue with Exchange 2007, but I'm too lazy to actually look. As for recording the sent time inaccurately, that's a pain but goes with the territory.

Anyways, I like the feature and use it often, but I don't do the late night thing.

Here's the instructions on how to do this: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052427901033.aspx. There are two general ways to delay delivery: setup a rule for all outgoing messages be delayed by a set interval with a max of 2 hours or set a "deliver by" time on individual messages. I prefer only using delay only on particular emails. However, if you're prone to sending emails prematurely and want to avoid that "Did I just send that?" feeling (and perhaps vomiting if it's real bad like this one), then the second is all you.

1 comment:

Pixel said...

didn't knew that, thanks for the help ;)

Does your computer as to be on at the sending time scheduled or is the delivery time managed by your ISP server?