Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Moving to Vista & Office 2007 - The install

During the lul of a thanksgiving work week, I decided to make the switch to Vista with Office 2007 on my primary workstation. Unfortunately, my dependency on 3rd party connectivity and presentations (SSL VPN, ISA, WebEx) and the risk of not being able to function at work, I decided to dual boot.

My primary machine:
Dell Latitude D620
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0
1GB Memory
60GB 7800 RPM

Vista needs it's own partition to be happy, so I had to find a tool to split my hard drive into two partitions.. I wasn't about to shell out $70 for Partition Magic, so I found a great free alternative: GParted. It's in Linux and performs the functions I needed to re-partition my NTFS XP volume without losing the data within. The best thing about the tool is it's distribution options. I chose the bootable live cd iso route, which allowed me to boot from CD and run it without having to install Linux. It simply boots into Linux that's on the CD and launches GParted.

I split the disk in 2 (30 GB for each OS), which took about 2 hours to do. Then I installed Vista RTM Business Edition, which is the easiest OS install of any Windows operating systems to date. It's also fast, only about 30 minutes without much user input needed. After the OS was up, I joined the corporate domain and installed Office 2007. This was also a breeze, except for the warning boxes that darken the whole screen and pop up a request for elevated privilege.

I've been running Vista w/Office 2007 for a few weeks now and will post about my experiences later. I will say I like Office 2007 quite a bit. Vista is a pain at times due to apps I used in XP not working in it. I've even had to go back into XP a few times in order to do a few things (WebEx was one of them). These apps should clear up over the next few months I hope.

I'll stop here. More to come later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a clear violation of company policy. please remove.

Anonymous said...

Hey my CD ROM eject button does not work, can you get me a new laptop?

Thanks
- annony

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Pickles,

I don't know what Vista is, but I intend to peruse your blog from time to time, since I got to it via a NSFW blogger search. I'm still waiting to hear more about "Mr. Pickles" and your "big adventures."

Anonymous said...

How can you in good conscience write something like this? You are obviously either a paid blogger or a simple minded M$ fanboy.

The interweb, and specifically the blogosphere, is for bashing M$ in an atmosphere of truthiness. I don't really care if their products work. I feel like they shouldn't, and therefore the only thing that I should see on the web is something that backs up my preconceptions.

The only reason I am not really ripping into you is that you at least point out that you needed a Linux product to get two different versions of a M$ OS installed on the same computer.

Mister Pickles said...

I wish I were paid for this blog (click on the ads), but I'm dreadingly not. I will say, fanboy is such a dumb term. And I say that because it was applied to me.

I recommend you take a Live CD and boot your life up, because you're not making me smile.

(note: "The Interweb" will for now be used as the category tag for things dealing with the blogosphere. May she always spin)