Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Vista is a Pain

I can almost not stand it anymore. There are serious issues with this OS and existing hardware out there. I have a Dell Latitude D620, a very common laptop, and I have a bunch of issues (listed below).

For the record, this is Microsoft Windows Vista RTM running business edition. Dell 620 Latitue laptop. Bios revision A06 (just released)

#1 Problem

Sleep - One of the most important feature for those who need to work on the road, shut the lid and it sleeps. My experience has been that it does "sleep", but when it wakes it's not the machine you put to bed. For me, the machine starts, but the monitor doesn't come up. I know the machine is working because it beeps when keys are pressed. Only a CTRL-ALT DEL and password shows activity.

So, I hard reboot.

I pray that these are just driver issues and will be corrected in the future. I know it's early for this OS, but I would almost expect a business laptop, like the D620, would be supported. I will note that Dell has barely anything on the support page for this machine. It's mostly just tools and BIOS. No drivers. So, I wait, hoping for a better experience. Thankfully, XP is still on the machine and if I think I'm about to cry, I can switch back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dum

Anonymous said...

Could be worse - Vista would blue screen for me when I unplugged the power cable from my laptop. And that was RC2.

Come visit my awesome blog at http://www.markfletcher.org/blog

Mark