Friday, December 29, 2006

Top 6 Things to Hate About the Internet for 2006

In recognition of the end of 2006 and all the countdowns you find in the media, I’ve decided there’s room for one more.

Selection criteria was made based on nothing significant and order is more a reflection of when I was exhausted from cutting and pasting.

6. Google Secret Land Grabs Hey, I’ve got a fun way to waste your brain cycles, speculate into why Google is buying land and building infrastructure and not putting their name on the building. Duh, that’s what you do when you build a data center.

5. Vista It’s not stable. Probably me, but 3 blue screens today? Come on. This is 2006.

4. DRM/RIAA/Copyrights If we’ve learned anything over the last 20 years, there’s always ways around copy protection and the new DRM storm. Find your loop hole and exploit it. Move on.

3. Stories on Digg about Digg Ok, so Digg is an interesting way to piss away your time at work. But do we really need to read about how it’s probably gamed, who’s getting paid to submit or digg and articles under the “you know you’re a diggaholic if” category? I guess so, as they end up at the top all the time. I just wish there was a Digg detractor and fanboy filter so I could bury that waste of html.

2. MySpace Proliferation Are you on MySpace? If you’re not, you’re saving yourself from a huge waste of time writing about yourself, reviewing web-cam spam and finding that someone you never wanted to find in the first place. My biggest peeve about MySpace is that when they send you a “you have a message” alert, you have to log into their terribly designed site to just see what was said.

1. Fake YouTube Videos that Lure You I am a creature that looks for crap on the web. If I see a link to “Britney Spears Party Video REAL!” or “EXCLUSIVE Steve Irwin Death Video NOT FAKE!’, I’m clicking on it. Unfortunately, so do a lot of others and they show up on the top pages. Of course, the video is never what it says and I start to weep.

Have a safe and Happy New Year celebration. Drink one for the blogosphere!

No comments: